Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cover Letter

November 1, 2009
Tina Kerrigan, M.S., RD
Clinical Site Coordinator, Coordinated Dietetic Program
California State University, Los Angeles
School of Kinesiology and Nutritional Science
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8162

Dear WHOEVER,

I have been interested in MUSC for over a year now and am excited that application time has come! I would like to be considered for acceptance into the Coordinated Dietetic Program in hopes of pursuing a MS in Nutritional Science while meeting the requirement to become a Registered Dietitian. I will be finishing my undergraduate career in May, receiving a Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition with a minor in Adolescent Health from the University of Tennessee.

Throughout my years as a student at the University of Tennessee, I have done as much as possible to gain experience and knowledge in the fields of nutritional science and nutrition education including youth nutrition education programs, research studies, group fitness instruction, and women’s health nutrition education. I have also held jobs in a natural medicine office, a clinical and food service setting at a hospital, and as a research assistant for a children’s hospital weight management clinic. In addition, I have been very involved in campus organizations including the Undergraduate Nutrition Association, Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society, and Phi Mu Sorority. I am an ideal candidate for the program because not only do I have a wide range of experiences and exposure in the field of nutrition, but I have been able to achieve academic success while maintaining an active role in the community and on campus.

The academic program at California State University, Los Angeles is ideal for me for a couple of reasons. First of all because I am looking for a program where I can complete Master’s degree coursework while working towards qualifications in becoming a Registered Dietitian and secondly because of the diversity in the program’s facility rotation and coursework as I am interested in both Nutritional Science and community/educational nutrition. It would truly be an honor to attend your institution, as I am positive I would be fully prepared for a professional career in nutrition.

Nutrition is my passion and I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to review my portfolio. I look forward to visiting the University’s campus soon and will be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Jessica M. Oakley
3914 Cherokee Woods Way, #203
Knoxville, TN 37930
(423)584-2602
JOakley1@utk.edu